Municipality of the District of Guysborough

Planning News






IN THE MATTER OF an amendment to the Zoning Map for a parcel of land assessed to L & M Investments Incorporated (Lloyd & Marliese Tate) and located near Civic Number 14791 Highway 316, Stormont, Guysborough County, N.S.
HEREBY TAKE NOTICE that the Guysborough Municipal Council will hold a Public Hearing on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 at 4:00 p.m., in the Council Chambers located at 33 Pleasant Street, Guysborough.
The Public Hearing is an opportunity for residents of the Municipality to make formal written or oral submissions to Municipal Council regarding the proposed rezoning of Property PID #35032283, from Mixed Use Rural Residential (MRR-1) to Commercial (C-1) to allow for the development of a Commercial Recreation Use (seasonal camping lots).  Written submissions will be received by the Municipal Office Until 3:00 PM, Wednesday, November 12, 2014.  Written submissions shall be addressed to Ms. Ashley Cunningham, at 33 Pleasant Street, Guysborough, NS or by email:
It is Council’s intention to pass a motion following the Hearing to either approve or reject this rezoning or refer the matter to Committee of the Whole for further review. 
Lot to be rezoned from Mixed Use Rural Residential (MRR-1) to Commercial (C-1) is shown on the attached sketch
Copies of the application for this amendment and all related information can be obtained at the Municipal Building, 33 Pleasant Street, Guysborough, Nova Scotia between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday (excluding holidays).  Council shall consider all written and oral submissions by interested persons who would like to express concerns or comments regarding the proposed amendment to the Zoning Map.
DATED at Guysborough, Nova Scotia on the 9th day of October, 2014.
Ashley Cunningham, Municipal Clerk
Municipality of the District of Guysborough
P. O. Box 79, Guysborough
Nova Scotia, Canada   B0H 1N0



From time to time the Municipality of the District of Guysborough offers property for sale by public tender that is not required for a municipal purpose.  For example, in Little Dover the Municipality has a parcel of land identified as the “Little Dover Subdivision” that has been set aside for residential development and lots are available for sale upon request from an interested individual.
Sale of Municipal Property is usually as a result of a request by a resident to purchase a particular parcel of land that is assessed in the name of the Municipality.  The Municipality has a specific policy that must be followed when requests are received by the public to purchase property however the first step is for an individual is to identify a particular parcel of land that they are interested in purchasing.   
Sale of municipal property is usually done by way of a public tender in the local newspaper however in rare circumstances Council may waive policy and sell a parcel of land directly to an individual.  This usually only happens if the parcel of municipal land is undersized and it abuts the applicants property and it is in the best interest of the Municipality to sell this property directly to that individual.
If the Municipality decides to sell a parcel of land to an individual there are several costs, in addition to the purchase price, that the purchaser is responsible to pay.  These costs include but are not limited to the following:
• HST on the purchase price
• the expenses of the Municipality in searching the title and migration of the property
• the expenses of the Municipality in arriving at the valuation of the property which could include an appraisal if required
• the expenses of the Municipality in having the property surveyed if necessary
• the cost for advertising
• the expenses of the Municipality to have the deed prepared including deed transfer tax on the sale and recording fees

For additional information on the Municipality’s policy on purchasing municipal property, please contact Ms. Deborah Torrey, Development Officer at (902) 533-3705, Extension 222 or email



Summer/Fall Construction Plans?

If you are considering a new project this Summer or Fall that involves a new construction, addition, renovation or even a demolition drop by the Municipal Office to discuss your project with the Building/Planning Staff. 

The Municipality of the District of Guysborough requires a Building/Development permit for almost all types of construction to ensure compliance with both the National Building Code of Canada and the Municipal Land Use Bylaw. 

What is a Development Permit and why do I need one?
A Development Permit is required to determine whether your proposed project is permitted under the Municipality’s current zoning regulations in accordance with the Municipality of the District of Guysborough Land Use Bylaw.  In reviewing your application the Development Officer will consider things such as:

• the shape and dimensions of your lot;
• the distance from the lot boundaries, dimension and height of the building or structure you are proposing to build or enlarge;
• the distance from the lot boundaries and size of every building already on your lot;
• parking requirements and proposed location and dimensions of those spaces;
• the proposed use of the lot and any building or structure; and
• any other information deemed necessary to determine whether or not the proposed development conforms to the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw.

What is a Building Permit and why do I need one?
A Building Permit is required to determine whether your proposed project meets all requirements of the National Building Code of Canada as well as the Municipality’s own Building Bylaw.  In reviewing your application for a Building Permit, the Building Inspector will require the following information:

• the size and shape of your proposed development;
• a floor plan of your proposed development providing enough information to ensure the plan complies with the Building Code;
• a plan prepared by an architect or engineer for large projects such as commercial/industrial buildings and residential structures over three stories in height;
• a site plan showing the location of your proposed development including distances from your property lines;
• the value of your proposed development;
• a copy of your driveway approval from Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal where applicable;
• a copy of your approval from Department of Environment for On-site Sewer where applicable; and
• any other information required to determine compliance with the National Building Code of Canada and the Municipality’s Building Bylaw.

There are exceptions to these requirements.  A Building Permit is NOT required for new buildings 10 m2 (107.6 ft2) or less in total floor area, fences less than 2 metres (6.56 feet) in height or for non-structural repairs under $2,500 however you may still require a Development Permit to determine compliance with the Municipality’s Land Use Bylaw. 

So if you are thinking about a new project please drop by the Municipal Office or give our Building/Planning Staff a call to discuss your project now to prevent any unnecessary delays in your building plans this Winter.

For more information please visit our website at or give us a call at (902) 533-3705, Extension 235 for Building Inspection and Extension 222 for Planning and Development.